Political Spectrum Explained | Left Vs Right
Political Spectrum is explained in this Article/Video. The terms left-wing politics and right-wing politics can often be misunderstood. So, what is the political spectrum and How it looks like? I have explained where political ideologies like Socialism, Communism, Conservatism, Capitalism, Environmentalism and lie on the Political spectrum.
In our Modern political world, we often hear terms like left-wing politics and right-wing politics. We often get confused and misunderstood these terms. So, what do these terms mean and where do they come from
The political terms left wing and right wing were first used in the ideological context during French revolution of the 18th century.
In the French Revolution, Left supported the revolution, they supported overthrowing the king while the right wing supported the monarchy means they supported the king. This idea of the left supporting change and the right wanted to keep the status quo continues today and is key in some of their philosophy.
Our modern political world is divided into these two ideologies.
- On the Left, there are communist, socialist and liberals. They all hate capitalism and the free market economy.
- On the right, there are conservatives and capitalists. They favor capitalism and free market economy.
The political spectrum from left to right looks like these
Communist, socialist, Green Politics (Environmentalism), Christian democratic, conservative and right-wing extremist.
The Left Wing Politics
- Left promotes the equal society.
- They believe that government should play a substantial role in people lives.
- Left wing governments increase regulations and taxes on businesses.
- Left literally promotes a socialistic idea of taking money from the rich by imposing heavy taxes on them and giving that money to poor people through welfare programs and many government subsidies for the poor.
- The left also calls itself progressive because they oppose the death penalty and support same-sex marriage and women’s right to abortion.
- The left also promotes the idea of open borders and favors immigration.
The Economics of the Left Wing
Economically left believes in the Keynesian approach.
- It means increasing taxes when the economy and business is booming or making a profit and spending that money when the economy is weak.
- They oppose the free market economy.
- The left wants complete control of the economy whereas some leftists want moderate control over the economy.
This approach mostly fails because increasing taxes and more regulations on the businesses are not good for the economy. It kills the productivity of businesses. If you increase the taxes on people, they will spend less on shopping and services and businesses won’t generate more revenue. That is the reason under leftist government economy stagnates. In short, the economy does not witness much growth under the leftist government.
The Right Wing Politics
- Right wing believes social inequality is inevitable.
- They believe that there will always be some rich people and some poor people in society.
- The right believes giving free stuff and free money under government subsidies does not help the poor. It makes poor people lazy and they remain poor.
- The right believes in providing opportunities to the poor rather than providing them with free stuff.
- Right wing government believes that the government should have limited control over the lives of people and businesses.
- They promote personal freedom and the free market economy.
- Their goal is to impose fewer rules on people.
- Right wing follows religious and traditional values and they oppose open borders and immigration.
Man is Not Free unless government is limited – Ronald ReganRonald Regan
The Economics of the Right Wing
Economically right wing follows the classical approach.
- Right wing decreases regulations on businesses, which results in more innovation.
- The right-wing promotes a free market where the government does not interfere much.
- They decrease the taxes, therefore, people save more money and as a result, people spend more money on shopping and services, which helps businesses in generating more revenue.
That is why the economy thrives and sees growth under the right-wing government.
- In our modern politics – Parties on the left include labor, the greens, Democratic Party and all socialist and communist parties.
- While those on the right include the Republicans, conservatives, the UK Independence party and the BJP of India.
- There is also one center ground where parties like liberal democrats lie. These parties at the center hold the views from both the right and the left.